Our commitment to you
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold
We may collect and hold the following kinds of personal information about you including:
• date of birth
• contact information
• employment history
• identification documents such as driver’s licence
• purchase history
• IP address
• documents to support a finance application
• tax file numbers for employees to comply with our PAYG obligations
• any other information you choose to provide us
You can choose not to provide us with personal information, however, we may not be able to provide you with the products and services you require, or the level of service which we aim to offer.
How we collect personal information
Unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so, we generally collect your personal information directly from you during the course of our business relationship, including:
• if you visit one of our dealerships or collision repair facilities in person
• if you contact us by phone or email
• if you complete a form on, or interact with, one of our websites
• if you purchase a vehicle or other product or service from us
• if you are an employee or supplier
• if you enter competitions or promotions that we run
• When you complete surveys or provide online feedback or product reviews
We may collect personal information about you from third parties, for example:
• A credit reporting body to conduct a car history check over your vehicle
• if you complete a form on, or interact with, a third party website such as Carsales.com.au, a car manufacturer website or Google
• from your employer or referees to confirm details of your employment for finance applications or employment with us
How we hold your personal information
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclosure your personal information for the following primary reasons:
• to provide our products and services to you
• to conduct our business of automotive retailing, supplying parts, servicing vehicles and collision repair
• to comply with our obligations to our vehicle manufacturers
• to action your requests, enquiries, complaints, consumer guarantee or warranty claims
• to provide customer care
• to contact you for any of these purposes including product recall
• to contact you in relation to service, end-of-warranty and other reminders
• to conduct direct marketing activities and advertising events
• to comply with our legal obligations
• for general management (such as to invoice you)
• for research, statistical and security purposes
• to assess your job application
• to assess your finance and insurance applications
• to search public records or registers
• for any purpose you have consented to
• to allow our third party service providers to perform the services they are contracted to perform
• to assess and investigate matters disclosed to us in accordance with our Whistleblower Policy
• if we are obliged to so by law
When we disclose your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to:
• our related bodies corporate within Autosports Group
• other organisations that provide products or services to us, for example:
o dealer management system providers
o third party software providers
o our vehicle manufacturers and their related bodies corporate
o marketing agencies
o insurance and finance brokers
o debt recovery agencies
o legal and financial advisors
o shareholder registry
o Government bodies
Some of these organisations may be located outside of Australia.
Other than for these purposes, generally we will only use or disclose your personal information if we have your consent, or if it is required or authorised by law.
Transfer of information overseas
Due to the number and complexity of the IT systems we use to operate our business and because majority of the brands we sell are based in Europe, your personal information may be disclosed to overseas service providers and suppliers. The countries to which information may be sent include:
• United States of America
• United Kingdom
We may also store your information in cloud or other types of networked or electronic storage. You should note that, as electronic or networked storage can be accessed from various countries via an internet connection, it is not always practicable to know in which country your information may be held.
You should note that while the overseas recipients will often be subject to confidentiality or privacy obligations, they may not always follow the particular requirements of Australian privacy laws. In the event that a disclosure is made in an overseas country, the information may not be protected to the same extent as the APPs. In any event, by providing your details, you consent to your information being disclosed in this manner.
We may use your personal information to promote our products and services to you.
We may conduct direct marketing activities by:
• Third party channels such as social networking sites.
If the direct marketing is by email or SMS, you may also use the unsubscribe function. If you wish to unsubscribe from any other types of direct marketing, please contact your Dealership. Your request to unsubscribe will be actioned within a reasonable period.
We may use or disclose your personal information (other than sensitive information) for direct marketing under circumstances where you would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the personal information for direct marketing.
We sometimes use third party marketing service providers to facilitate our direct marketing activities.
We do not disclose your personal information to any third party for the purpose of allowing them to market their products or services to you.
IP address, cookies and web beacons
• provide you with a better website experience
• to better understand your behaviours and habits
• display relevant advertisements or content on our network and third party networks and websites
We may use remarketing tools such as Google AdWords to personalise your marketing and content experience.
The use of a web beacon allows the website to record the simple actions of the user (such as opening the page that contains the beacon) through a tracking pixel. We may use web beacons (and cookies) to analyse site usage, to report and audit advertising and personalise your content. We may share any data collected from web beacons (and cookies) with third parties to provide you with relevant advertising when browsing third party websites.
Advertising and tracking
When you access our website after viewing one of our advertisements on a third party website, the advertising company may collect information on how you utilise our website (for example, which pages you viewed) and whether you commenced or completed any online forms.
Update and access of personal information
If you wish to make any changes to your personal information, please contact your Autosports Group Dealership.
You may request access to the personal information we hold about you by contacting us. We will respond to your request within a reasonable period. We will give access in the manner you have requested if it is reasonable to do so.
We may deny you access to your personal information in certain circumstances, for example, if required or authorised by or under an Australian law or a court/tribunal order, or it would be likely to prejudice enforcement related activities by an enforcement body. In relation to credit eligibility information, the exceptions may differ.
If we decide not to give you access, we will provide reasons for the refusal and information on how you can complain about the refusal.
Storage and security of personal information
Business without identifying you
In most circumstances, it will be necessary for us to identify you in order to successfully do business with you. However, where it is lawful and practicable to do so, we will provide you with the option to remain anonymous or to use a pseudonym, for example, when you make general inquiries about our business or current promotional offers.
We do not adopt a government related identifier (such as your tax file number or your driver’s 7 licence number) as a means of identifying you.
Complaints and further information
You may request further information about the way we manage your personal information by contacting us. You can use this form http://autosportsgroup.com.au/contact.html or call us on 1300 125 179.
Please also contact us if you believe that our privacy standards do not meet the level set by the APPs or have a complaint about our handling of your personal information.
If you are dissatisfied with our response, you may make a complaint to the OAIC which can be contacted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 1300 363 992.
About credit information and 'notifiable matters'
We may exchange your credit information with CRBs. We may use the credit information that we exchange with the CRBs to assess your creditworthiness, assess your application for finance and manage your finance. If you fail to meet your payment obligations in relation to any finance that we have provided or arranged, or you have committed a serious credit infringement, we may disclose this information to a CRB.
You have the right to request access to the credit information that we hold about you and make a request for us to correct that credit information if needed. We explain how you can do this below.
Sometimes, your credit information will be used by CRBs for ‘pre-screening’ credit offers on the request of other credit providers. You can contact the CRB at any time to request that your credit information is not used in this way.
You may contact the CRB to advise them that you believe that you may have been a victim of fraud. For 21 days after the CRB receives your notification, the CRB must not use or disclose that credit information. You can contact any of the following CRBs for more information: Dun & Bradstreet (Australia) Pty Ltd (www.dnb.com.au); Experian (www.experian.com.au); and Equifax (www.equifax.com.au).